The Purpose of the Rental Housing Rehabilitation Program is to improve the City of Watertown by promoting repair and rehabilitation of the exsisting housing stock. The primary objective is to eliminate any conditions that might become hazardous to the health or safety of the occupants of homes throughout the city. Insulation and weatherization and other repairs or improvements will also be encouraged.
Assistance will be available to help pay the cost of eligible improvements in rental apartments with tenants who qualify as lower income (household income below 60% of median.) Applications must be filed by the property owner. Proof of ownership will be required in the form of a deed or land contract that is recorded in the office of the County Clerk.Applicants must secure adequate insurance for the property before any work is done under this program. In addition, all real estate taxes must be paid and charges for all other public services (water & sewer) must be current for the property where improvements are being considered and all other properties owned by the applicant in the City of Watertown.
Priority For Assistance:Priority For Assistance:
Preference will be given to those cases where special needs are demonstrated, including:
- Tenants with income at the public assistance level (below 30% of median) will be given preference over lower income households (income between 30% and 60% of median).
- Tenants with fixed income (retirement, disability, social security, etc.) will be given preference over those with income from sources that could increase in the future.
- Preference may be given to properties with emergency repairs to eliminate problems that are an immediate threat to the structural integrity of the building or the health and safety of the occupants.
- Preference may be given to properties with serious code violations if they are a threat to the integrity of the structure or the safety of the occupants. All code violations must be addressed and other needed improvements should be included in those projects.
Program criteria include:
- The applicant must own the rental property.
- The rental property must be located in the city of Watertown.
- The work must bring the apartment building to meet codes and housing quality standards.
- The owner will be required to repay at least 50% of the cost of improvements.
Program Results as of February 2019:
- Grant Funds Distributed............ $2,566,993
- Mortgage Dollars Leveraged.....$2,627,480
- Economic Impact.......................$5,194,473
- Units Rehabilitated......................137